10 Myths about Alcohol you need to know before taking this next shot
Is a glass of wine a day healthy, can a repair shop really cure hangovers, and can you drink more if you drink cream before consuming alcohol?
We have asked a nutritionist and he has he answered the 10 most common myths about alcohol.
1. “If I drink cream before alcohol, I can drink more because there is a retina in my stomach …”
False! Cream slightly slows down the absorption rate of alcohol. But it has nothing to do with a retina.
2. “It takes an hour to burn an drink…”
False! It takes about an hour and a half for a person to burn an drink. Tho it may vary from person to person.
3. “I get a worse sleep after drinking …”
True! Alcohol destroys so-called REM sleep. Even if you sleep for many hours, the quality of sleep is poor and therefore you are still tired the next day.
4. “If I drink on an empty stomach, I become more drunk …”
True! The alcohol will be absorbed both faster and to a greater extent.
5. “I can cure a hangover with a repair shop the next day …”
Partly true! A bit of alcohol the next day will trigger the enzymes that break down the alcohol, so it actually goes a little faster.
6. “It helps the hangover to eat before I go to sleep …”
True! It can help on the hangover to get some salt inboard before going to bed.
7. “A glass of wine a day is healthy …”
Partly true! If you have a hereditary tendency for cardiovascular disease and are over 45, a glass of wine a day can be healthy. Otherwise not.
8. “Alcohol kills brain cells …”
True! It is especially the process from being drunk to sober that is harsh to the brain.
9. “I can drink more alcohol if I dance because I burn it faster …”
False! Physical activity does not affect how quickly the alcohol is burned.
10. “I get fewer hangovers from vodka cadence …”
True! Light types of liquor such as vodka give fewer hangovers, as it is only the alcohol that damages, and not other toxins like wood liquor, which is in the dark liquor.