How to make a Danish inspired gin and tonic
Hello and welcome back on Gin & Tonic-Thursday. Today we are talking about a somewhat orthodox version of gin and tonic, because today’s Gin & Tonic Thursday does not contain gin nor tonic.
Are you f*cking with my gin & tonic!?
Yes yes, but ease up. Before you storm out of your chair and go penguin hunting, there’s still liqour in it. This is a Danish interpretation of the classic drink; gin and tonic. The tonic water is homemade and the gin is replaced with delicious Danish aquavit.
The Gin will be replaced aquavit which is gonna adding the liquor taste. And the well-known bitter tonic? Yes, you create that yourself with homemade tonic syrup. Yummy!
Get started with the drink
We have found a recipe that shines with summer and tastes fresh as hell. The homemade tonic syrup is pakced with citrus fruits and contains peel and juice from lemon, lime, grapefruit and orange. The syrup can last for a very long time, so you can make the drink over and over again.
Follow when we guide you through how to make your new favorite drink with aquavit and homemade tonic syrup!
What you need
- 2-4 cl aquavit (per drink)
- 1.5 tablespoons quinine
- 5 pieces. lemongrass
- 1 bundle Lemon balm
- 1 lemon
- Peel and juice from 1 grape
- Peel and juice from 1 orange
- Peel and juice from 1 lime
- 10 pcs allspice
- 1 kg of sugar
- 1/2 l of water
- Ice cubes
- Sparkling water
A large pot
A sharp knife
How to make it
- First you’re gonna make your own tonic.
- Put the quinine in a pot. Chop the lemongrass neet and put it into the pot. Throw the whole bundle of lemon balm in as well.
- Add peel and juice from the citrus fruits. You may get some of the white with from the fruits when you rip them. It adds a bit of bitterness to your tonic.
- Then add allspice, sugar og water. Put the pot over the heat and simmer for 20 minutes. When the liquid is boiled into a syrup consistency, your tonic is finished.
- When the tonic syrup is cooked, it must be sifted. Then you have a syrup for tonic that can last for a very long time in the fridge.
- Crush some ice and put it in a glass. Mix the drink with 3 tablespoons syrup, aquavit, fill up with sparkling water and garnish with a little band of cucumber.
Use your imaGINation
That’s all from Gin & Tonic Thursday this week. We hope you’re gonna enjoy this week’s gin and tonic recipe.
Tell us what you think about the recipe. You can comment further down the page.
Please remember to drink responsibly! This post isn’t meant to make you sick due to the over-consumption of alcohol. PartyPingo does not encourage irresponsible drinking of any kind. Stay safe, everyone!
If you enjoyed our content, please share it with others or give us some feedback and let us know how we can make it better!